The KBC Dublin Marathon Race organisers, aware of the concern caused by the changes to the entry process to regular participants in the KBC Dublin Marathon, have made the decision to guarantee a race entry for anyone who has participated in one of the last three editions of the KBC Dublin Marathon namely, the 2017, 2018 or 2019 event. Eligible participants will be able to guarantee their place in the 2020 KBC Dublin Marathon provided they enter within 72 hours of receiving a unique URL enabling them to do so. The URL will be issued at 12 noon on Friday 1st November.
The KBC Dublin Marathon Race organisers can confirm that a significant factor in the move to the lottery system for the 2020 KBC Dublin Marathon in addition to the increased demand experienced over the last number of years, is to gauge the total level of interest in participation in the Dublin marathon. This is to enable the KBC Dublin Marathon Race organisers to prepare a strategic plan for the future development of the event in consultation with the event’s multiple stakeholders.
Moving to a lottery system will allow the KBC Dublin Marathon Race organisers determine the overall interest levels from the amount of lottery registrations as opposed to the current system where applications cut off as soon as the 22,500 capacity is reached. Based on the experience of recent years the KBC Dublin Marathon organisers expect total interest to exceed capacity and the lottery is seen as a fair way to determine participation where interest exceeds capacity.
A number of places in the KBC Dublin Marathon have also been allocated to the Athletics Ireland membership as the race also serves as the Athletics Ireland National Marathon Championships. Application for these places will open on 1st April 2020 and will be allocated in accordance with the KBC Dublin Marathon Good for Age standards. Applicants must have a valid Athletics Ireland membership to be eligible
The KBC Dublin Marathon Race organisers can confirm that about 18% of participants amounting to approximately 4,000 runners partake in the KBC Dublin Marathon in consecutive years.
About the KBC Dublin Marathon Race Organisers:
The KBC Dublin Marathon is run by a volunteer board under the auspices of Marathon Events Management DAC, a not for profit company, with any surplus funds generated from the organisation, promotion, development and management of the KBC Dublin Marathon and Race Series reinvested in the following year’s events.
About the 2020 KBC Dublin Marathon Lottery:
Entry to the 2020 KBC Dublin Marathon lottery will be open from the 1st November to 30th November 2019 ONLY.
Individuals who participated in the 2017, 2018 or 2019 event will be guaranteed an entry in the KBC Dublin Marathon 2020 on provided they enter within 72 hours of receiving the unique URL that will be issued to them at 12 noon on Friday 1st November
There will be a registration fee of €15 per lottery entry which will be fully refundable if the applicant is not successful and fully redeemable against entry fee if the applicant is successful. Registrants will learn their entry status via SMS and email between 3rd January to 10th January. Successful entrants will have until 31st January 2020 to redeem the offer.
The KBC Dublin Marathon Race organisers will retain details of anyone unsuccessful in the original lottery and any initial places not redeemed by 31st January 2020 will be re-allocated amongst these entrants who were not successful in the first round of the lottery. The applicants will learn their entry status via SMS and email between the 4th February to 7th February 2020. These offers must be redeemed by 14th February 2020.
A number of places in the KBC Dublin Marathon have also been allocated to the Athletics Ireland membership as the race also serves as the Athletics Ireland National Marathon Championships. Application for these places will open on 1st April 2020 and will be allocated in accordance with the KBC Dublin Marathon Good for Age standards. Applicants must have a valid Athletics Ireland membership to be eligible.
- There is a guarantee of a race entry for anyone who has participated in one of the last three editions of the KBC Dublin Marathon namely, the 2017, 2018 or 2019 event, they will get a code starting from 12 noon on 1st November and have 72 hours to enter.
- There will be 22,500 places available for the 2020 KBC Dublin Marathon, with a number of these places allocated to Athletics Ireland membership. Athletics Ireland members will qualify under the Good For Age standards and can apply on April 1st and must have a valid Athletics Ireland membership.
- Lottery event open to the public from November 1st to Saturday 30th November at midnight via a public webpage which will be hosted by Eventmaster. This will be the only time period of which an application for entry to the KBC Dublin Marathon can be made.
- Applicants will be obligated to enter all registrant information required to satisfy the 2020 event and will be charged €15 to enter. This fee will be refunded if not successful by the end of August 2020 or will be offset against entry fee if successful.
- KBC Dublin Marathon to select successful lottery applications randomly but in a manner to ensure that the current balance of Irish and overseas runners and runners of all abilities is maintained.
- Eventmaster will issue SMS to be sent to the successful applicants with a direct link to register for the event. Access link will direct the user to their registration page on the 2020 marathon event with the data from the lottery pre-populated – Name, email, gender, DOB, mobile will not be editable, ensuring that only the selected applicant can use that lottery link. Fee of €75 to enter (€90 less €15 already paid) + additional purchases and booking fee (€3) as normal. Successful applicants will have until MIDNIGHT 31st January to use the link. Email reminders will be issued.
- Applicants who have been unsuccessful with will receive an email to inform them.
- Any places not redeemed will be offered via lottery system to those originally unsuccessful from 4th February to 7th February 2020 with offers needing to be redeemed by 14th February.
- Refund option opens from June 2nd to June 15th, 2020. A refund of 70% of the entry fee will be returned once your application has been accepted. The refund will be available on “Manage My Bookings” from your entry confirmation link. This will be the only opportunity to avail of a refund for 2020.
- Any unallocated numbers to be offered to any unsuccessful lottery applicants on July 1st -July 7th, 2020 with offers needing to be redeemed by 14th July.
- Refund issued of €15 to those that were unsuccessful